Intramural activities are categorized as men’s, women’s, coed or open forms of participation and are governed by eligibility requirements and pertinent sports rules. The sport contests/activities are defined by their scheduling method to be round-robin, double round-robin, tournament, invitational and special event. In round-robin and double round-robin events sport leagues are organized to include every college’s or combined college’s team in either a single or dual division involving a playing season. In tournament events each round consists of a onetime competition involving every college’s team in a single or split division and scored as head-to-head contests within the division. In invitational events each round consists of a mega competition involving individuals or the college teams that elect to participate and scored as head-to-head contests. In special events the competition and scoring method are dependent upon the nature of the activity and may include individual or team activities related or unrelated to college association. Tyng Cup points are awarded for all events except special events and where noted below. Overall record or planned post-playoffs determine champions in every event with participants of the winning team (team members must be registered on the sign-in rosters in at least half of the regular season games) or the individual winners awarded championship t-shirts. The following playoff and tie-breaking procedures are utilized. If due to reasonable circumstances it is impossible to schedule a playoff then all tied teams shall be declared champions. If due to unreasonable circumstances it is impossible to schedule a playoff then head-to-head results and/or other methods determined by the Director of Intramural Sports shall be utilized to declare champions and to award t-shirts.
When the league consists of all colleges represented by single or combined teams and, during the course of the schedule each team plays every other team at least once, then the team with the greatest total of Tyng Cup points is declared the champion. In the event of a tie for first place the following non-Tyng point playoff procedure will be utilized to determine the champion.
Two teams: A championship game (no Tyng Cup points awarded)
Three or more teams:
1. Outcome of head-to-head games with the top two teams playing a championship game
2. The two teams amassing the greatest “points for : points against ratio” in games involving the tied teams will play a championship game
3. The two teams amassing the greatest “points for : points against ratio” in all games will play a championship game
4. The two teams with the least number of forfeits will play a championship game.
5. A simultaneous coin toss will remove one team from the tiebreak.
When a league consists of dual divisions the top two or the top four teams (predetermined on the schedule of events) in each division qualify for seeded playoffs. In the event of a tie for playoff positions the following tie breaking procedures are utilized to determine playoff positions. In the event of a tie of more than two teams, when one of the tied teams wins or loses any tiebreak, that team is seeded and the remaining teams restart the tiebreak procedure.
1. Outcome of the head to head games involving the tied teams
2. Greatest points for : points against ratio involving the tied teams
3. Greatest points for : points against ration involving all teams
4. Lowest number of forfeits
5. Coin flip
All colleges are required to field a team when a sport is scheduled as a tournament and the results of the competition are scored as head-to-head contests among all teams and involves Davie and Tyng point allocations. The team records determine the order of finish. If the tournament involves more than one round then the top three teams or the teams tied for the top three spots in each division qualify for the next round. In the event of a tie for first place after the final round then the following tie breaking procedures are utilized to determine the champion. Only winning team members who participated in every round of the tournament are awarded championship t-shirts.
1. Winner of the final round head-to-head match-up,
2. If no winner is determined then co-champions are declared.
1. Winner of the final round head-to-head match-ups,
2. If no winner is determined then tri-champions are declared.
More Than Three Teams: to be determined by the Director of Intramural Sports.
Playoffs: Spring playoffs may be waived if the winner has statistically clinched the Tyng Cup.